What happened to Questech?
Gordon Murray
2003-11-02 12:38:46 UTC
I saw an old Questech 2U synchroniser on the repair pile the other day and
it made me wonder what happened to Questech.

I remember a small stand at IBC a few years back. The web site has now
fallen off the Internet.

I did a search on the net and the only thing I can find is about Bob Billing
who was head of software until 1996.

Anyone know any more?
Stephen Neal
2003-11-02 13:29:15 UTC
Gordon Murray wrote:
> I saw an old Questech 2U synchroniser on the repair pile the other
> day and it made me wonder what happened to Questech.
>
> I remember a small stand at IBC a few years back. The web site has now
> fallen off the Internet.
>
> I did a search on the net and the only thing I can find is about Bob
> Billing who was head of software until 1996.
>
> Anyone know any more?

They ceased trading a year or so ago I believe. They had, I think, invested
quite a lot in an HDTV version of the Charisma, as well as re-engineered it
with a new "VTL" control surface. I think that the Charisma was really
their main product towards the end of their life, though they also marketed
keyers, decoders and synchronisers still? (They also had a degree of
success in the late 80s/early90s with their SSVR - which was a RAM based
video recorder that allowed video / audio delays of the order of seconds to
be added to feeds to synchronise studios with satellite remotes etc.)

I guess the rise of Avids and other non-linear editing meant a massive
reduction in the number of DVEs required in edit suites - though Charisma is
still installed in virtually every gallery in TV Centre (with the exception
of some Sony DMEs, and the odd Pinnacle, in a couple of News studios)

I understand that a new company was set-up to provide repairs and support
for existing customers.

Steve
Phil Crawley
2003-11-03 21:06:06 UTC
> They ceased trading a year or so ago I believe.

That's a shame - during my time in the Spur I repaired and operated a lot of
Charismas - nice clean pictures compared to ADO (the other DVE of the day).
The target address genarator and backward address genarator on the curvy
version ("CLEO"?) was a masterpiece of engineering.

> They also had a degree of
> success in the late 80s/early90s with their SSVR - which was a RAM based
> video recorder that allowed video / audio delays of the order of seconds
> be added to feeds to synchronise studios with satellite remotes etc.)

The graphics department at a facility I worked for used to lay off to one -
eventually via TCP/IP over 10-Base2 ethernet - a real innovation in the
early nineties!